Monday, November 05, 2007

treadmill computing platform, beta1

[Note, 12/8/2008: due to popular demand, all internet treadmill walkstation/workstation/deskstation posts have been moved the the following blog, http://internet-treadmill-workstation.blogspot.com/. ]


[unless you are some sort of treadmill historian or Crockett-stalker, skip to the latest version, here: http://crockettdunn.blogspot.com/2008/03/exercise-plan-active-lifestyle-for.html] ########################################

There has been consistent progress, but also minor setbacks, in the ongoing quest for the ultimate treadmill computing platform. As I type/ride treadmill, I am forced to use my 2nd tier backup throw-away laptop, which doubles as the doggy pillow-cam server.

Yes, pour out a little liquor for my HTC Athena Advantage x7501 battery, and maybe the ROM, too. After much tinkering, this last ROM flash left it unresponsive, and possibly kaput, el-bricko, gebricked. There is a replacement battery en route, so we're hoping for the best.

Although the loss of expensive hardware drives me nuts, after a little thought, I am able to view my destructive testing and experimentation as a positive sign of the aquisition of new capability. (Don't EVEN ask my wife how many Win3.1 machines I killed on my way to mastering 95 :).) This bodes well for the inclusion of WM6 on the CD LLC capabilities list (will work for replacement hardware).

More good news: the Gyrate wireless compact keyboard and air-mouse are sheduled for arrival today, so the problem of the laptop HDD shielding blocking treadmill wireless heartrate monitor will be shortly eliminated.

And that's just a recently discovered problem that happens to be solved by the wireless peripherals set. The original and primary benefit is to separate input from display, which greatly increases the set of possible solutions, because the processing and storage don't have to be compact anymore. Plus, the display doesn't have to be tiny and in-my-face. Instead it can be giant and on-the-wall.

Summary:
1) Goodbye, Athena.
2) Hello wireless peripherals
3) Seeking: thin (not too thin) client

No comments: