Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Time, Relativity, Beauty, Childhood, Nature, Poetry, Love, Wonder, and Jack Johnson

I believe there are truths that transcend our current tools of language. Shades of meaning that can be captured in a painting, song, or shared experience.

Why is Jack Johnson's little "Spring Wind" ditty so moving??? It's clearly not the chords: D-G-A-D-G-A-G-D-A-Bm-D-G-D-A-Bm-G-A-D. I can play these chords without being paralyzed with emotion. Although they do seem to resonate with something deep inside.


G D G
All my friends are getting older,
A BM
I guess I must be too.
G
Without their love and kindness
A
I don't want I'll do
G D
Oh the wine bottle's half empty
A BM
The money's all been spent
G
We're a cross between our parents
A
And hippies in a tent.

G D
Oh, Love calls just like a wild bird
A BM
It's just another day
G A D
Spring blew my list of things to do away.

G,D,G,D

G D G
In a mucked up lovely river
A BM
I cast my little fly
G
But I look at that river and I smell it and
A
it makes me want to cry, Oh
G D
To clean our dirty planet
A BM
Now there's a noble wish
G
Now I putting shoulder to the wheel
A
Cause I wanna catch some fish, Oh
G D
Love calls just like a wild bird
A BM
It's just another day
G A D
Spring blew my list of things to do away.


I'm thinking about dissecting this, because there was a lot I had to say about what this song evokes (see title), but the interesting thing is, when I use the analytical part of my mind to try to pick the song apart, it's like the feelings are no longer accessible. Weird.

No comments: